I didn't shave in the morning it would take me longer in the evening than it would if

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Yesterday I had to go somewhere so I shaved twice. First in the morning and then in the evening before leaving. When I was shaving in the morning my mom asked me (casually) why I was shaving at that time when I had to shave in the evening. I told her if I didn't shave in the morning it would take me longer in the evening than it would if I had shaved.

Please check my sentences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As is so often the case with your posts, you have used far more words than necessary to explain something very simple. Would you really use such a long-winded explanation to say this in Hindi? If not, think of the simple version you would use in Hindi and then just translate it into English.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
As is so often the case with your posts, you have used far more words than necessary to explain something very simple. Would you really use such a long-winded explanation to say this in Hindi? If not, think of the simple version you would use in Hindi and then just translate it into English.

When I was shaving in the morning my mom asked me (casually) why I was shaving when I had to shave in the evening as well. I told her if I didn't shave in the morning it would take me longer in the evening than it would if I had shaved.

I would like to get this part checked in particular "I told her if I didn't shave in the morning it would take me longer in the evening than it would if I had shaved."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

Yesterday morning as I was shaving my mom asked me why I was shaving then when I would have to shave in the evening. I told her that shaving then would shave time off my evening shave. (Pun intended.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When I was shaving [STRIKE]in the[/STRIKE] one morning, my mom asked me [STRIKE](casually)[/STRIKE] why I was shaving when I had to [STRIKE]shave[/STRIKE] do it again in the evening. [STRIKE]as well.[/STRIKE] I told her if I didn't shave in the morning it would take me longer in the evening. [STRIKE]than it would if I had shaved.[/STRIKE]

I would like to get this part checked in particular "I told her if I didn't shave in the morning it would take me longer in the evening than it would if I had shaved."

See above.

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I told her shaving twice a day lead to quicker shaves overall.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
See above.

I would like to get this part checked in particular "I told her if I didn't shave in the morning it would take me longer in the evening than it would if I had shaved." Is this part correct?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"I told her if I didn't shave in the morning it would take me longer in the evening."

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
"I told her if I didn't shave in the morning, the evening shave would take longer."

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would like to get this part checked in particular: "I told her if I didn't shave in the morning it would take me longer in the evening than it would if I had shaved." Is this part correct?
I can’t find a grammatical error in this, but it's a terrible sentence. The many words after evening add nothing.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I told her if I didn't shave in the morning it would take me longer in the evening than it would if I had shaved.

Shaving twice takes more time than shaving once. I'd make better use of my time if I were you.

Status
Not open for further replies.