Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Suppose there is a person named Chris who conducts online session. Chris gives chance to speak to every participant based upon the order in which they join the session. One day during the session Chris has to leave because of an emergency and Chris asks his assistant to take over from there and leaves. Chris's assistant doesn't know the order he was going. So what does he need to say "I do not know the order he was going"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Suppose there is a person named Chris who conducts online sessions.

Chris gives everyone the chance to speak [STRIKE]to every participant[/STRIKE] based upon the order in which they join the session.

One day, during the session, Chris has to leave because of an emergency and [STRIKE]Chris[/STRIKE] he asks his assistant to take over. [STRIKE]from there and leaves.[/STRIKE]

Chris's assistant doesn't know the order [STRIKE]he was going[/STRIKE] in which the participants joined. [STRIKE]So[/STRIKE] What does he need to say? Can he say "I do not know the order he was going"?

It's not natural. He might say "I don't know what order Chris was going to put you in".

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It's not natural. He might say "I don't know what order Chris was going to put you in".

Okay, so "I don't know the order he put you in". Is it correct? Can we say "I don't know the order he was following (it sounds odd though)"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Okay, so "I don't know the order he put you in" (no full stop here) is [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] correct. Am I right?
No, you are not right. It's incorrect.

Can we say "I don't know the order he was following"? [STRIKE](it sounds odd though)"?[/STRIKE] It sounds odd to me.

Yes, you can say "I don't know the order he was following".

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Yes, you can say "I don't know the order he was following".

If Chris has already made a list of the names of the participants like 1) James, 2) Joanna, 3) Jeremy and so on but while leaving Chris doesn't share it with his assistant then "I don't know what order Chris was going to put you in" doesn't work right? Because he has already put them in the order they joined the session. So what should he say here? "I don't know the order he put you in" doesn't work then what can we say?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If Chris has already made a list of the names of the participants, like 1) James, 2) Joanna, 3) Jeremy and so on but​, [STRIKE]while[/STRIKE] when leaving, Chris doesn't share it with his assistant then "I don't know what order Chris was going to put you in" doesn't work, right? That's because he has already put them in the order they joined the session. So what should he say here? If "I don't know the order he put you in" doesn't work, then what can we say?

If the assistant knows that Chris had put them in order but he doesn't know the order, then "I don't know the order he put you in" can be used, as can "I don't know the order he had put you in". He would follow it up with something like "... so I'm going to come up with my own order/plan".

What doesn't work is "the order he was going", which is what you suggested in post #1.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This would be more natural to me: I don't know what order he put you in.