Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi everyone, is the following sentence correct?

'I got this job because I am a good driver.'

I found in my grammar book(Practical English Usage, Michael Swan) that the correct sentence is 'I got this job because I was a good driver.' But why will I use the past tense if I still am a good driver. I have seen many people use the present form too. Is the present form correct too? If someone has an aversion of backshifting, can they use the present tense?

Please explain it. :cool:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
They're both correct. Using "was" simply takes the reader/listener back to the time when you got the job. You were taken on because you were a good driver. The fact that you are still a good driver is irrelevant to that situation. In fact, using "was" makes far more sense than saying "I got that job (in the past) because I am a good driver (now)". However, the use of the present tense is actually more common and it's what I would use.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
However, the use of the present tense is actually more common and it's what I would use.
I agree. I wouldn't use 'was' lest people should infer that I'm no longer a good driver.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you want to be absolutely sure that no one questioned your faultless driving abilities, you would have to say "I got that job because I was, and always have been, an excellent driver".

(Cue excerpt from Rain Man, with Raymond Babbitt (Dustin Hoffman) insisting he be allowed to drive the 1949 Buick Roadmaster because "I'm an excellent driver".)