Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Can we say "I have never seen my cousin getting angry ever since I knew him"?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Can we say "I have never seen my cousin getting angry ever since I knew him"?

It does not sound logical to me because cousins would normally know each other from an early age, unlike friends who get to know each other later in life

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, you could hardly have seen him get angry before you knew him! Forget the whole second half.

I have never seen my cousin get angry.
I have never seen my cousin angry.
I have never seen my cousin getting angry. (The use of "getting" is the least natural of the three.)

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I would say 'since I got to know him' instead of 'since I knew him' if the clause was not omitted.

It does not sound logical to me because cousins would normally know each other from an early age, unlike friends who get to know each other later in life
I have a cousin born in a Western country. We did not know each other until he came to my country.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
During my adolescence I got to know one cousin after another as they arrived in my country from Russia and Israel.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Regardless of when the OP first met his/her cousin, it is still redundant to say "since I've known him" (which would be the grammatical version of "ever since I knew him"). The OP can only have seen his cousin do, or not do, anything since they first met. It's impossible for the OP to make any comments about what he saw before he met the cousin.

The statement would have more impact if we knew how long they have known each other.

I have known my cousin for 27 years and I have never seen him get angry! (Quite impressive.)
I have known my cousin for one month and I have never seen him get angry. (Definitely not impressive.)

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Regardless of when the OP first met his/her cousin, it is still redundant to say "since I've known him" (which would be the grammatical version of "ever since I knew him"). The OP can only have seen his cousin do, or not do, anything since they first met. It's impossible for the OP to make any comments about what he saw before he met the cousin.

The statement would have more impact if we knew how long they have known each other.

I have known my cousin for 27 years and I have never seen him get angry! (Quite impressive.)
I have known my cousin for one month and I have never seen him get angry. (Definitely not impressive.)

"I have never seen my friend getting angry ever since I knew him" okay so this construction doesn't work even if we are talking about a friend. Am I correct?

Regardless of when the OP first met his/her cousin, it is still redundant to say "since I've known him" (which would be the grammatical version of "ever since I knew him").

You are saying "Since I have known him" is the grammatical version but after since we use "past simple". Am I correct? Like "I haven't seen him since we left school". In a thread I also asked about using "present perfect" after since in these kinds of sentences but I was told it was wrong but now you are saying it is not.

Last edited by a moderator: