I know its right, but can' explain it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Hi and good evening from Germany.
I am English living in Germany and give extra tuition to German kiddies in English.One of the lads asked me a question yesterday which I was unable to answer, even though I know that what he had read was correct!
He was reading an article on American cars in past perfect form (passive).
He noted that a lot of the text referred to "had been built", had been invented etc. He asked why, in another part of the text does it say "had become" and not "had been become" as in the rest of the text! I knew straight away that you just don't say that, but do you think I could think of an easy explanation for him! Please can someone help me to help him! I would be so grateful.

S

Susie Smith

Lee said:
I am English living in Germany and give extra tuition to German kiddies in English.One of the lads asked me a question yesterday which I was unable to answer, even though I know that what he had read was correct!
He noted that a lot of the text referred to "had been built", had been invented etc. He asked why, in another part of the text does it say "had become" and not "had been become" as in the rest of the text! I knew straight away that you just don't say that, but do you think I could think of an easy explanation for him! Please can someone help me to help him! I would be so grateful.

Hi, Lee! The explanation is simple. Only transitive verbs (verbs that can be followed by an object) are used in the passive. It is not possible to use intransitive verbs (such as happen, sleep, come, seem, become) in the passive. :)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Susie Smith said:
Lee said:

Hi, Lee! The explanation is simple. Only transitive verbs (verbs that can be followed by an object) are used in the passive. It is not possible to use intransitive verbs (such as happen, sleep, come, seem, become) in the passive. :)

Very good, Susie. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.