Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
On Lee Hsien Loong's Facebook, he says:

Hope that our close partnership will continue to strengthen and prosper. I look forward to Singapore and Indonesia rising together to greater heights over the next 50 years!
-----
Does it mean 'Singapore and Indonesia's rising together to greater heights over the next 50 years'?

Would you be so kind as to help me?
Thanks!

PS I also posted the same question on this, but all of your answers are unique to me. Hope we can discuss with each other. Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
On Lee Hsien Loong's Facebook page, he says:

Hope that our close partnership will continue to strengthen and prosper. I look forward to Singapore and Indonesia rising together to greater heights over the next 50 years!
-----

Does it mean 'Singapore and Indonesia's rising together to greater heights over the next 50 years?
Both versions, with and without the apostrophe, work.

[STRIKE]Would you be so kind as to help me?[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. You've already asked us a question.
[STRIKE]Thanks![/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Thank us after we've helped.

PS - I also posted the same question [STRIKE]on this,[/STRIKE] here but all of your answers are unique. [STRIKE]to me.[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]Hope we can discuss with each other. Thank you.[/STRIKE] Unnecessary.

See above.

Without the apostrophe, the sentence is the equivalent of "I look forward to them rising together ...".
With the apostrophe, it's the equivalent of "I look forward to their rising together ...".

Given how formal what he has written is, I am surprised he didn't write "I hope that ..." at the beginning.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Given how formal what he has written is, I am surprised he didn't write "I hope that ..." at the beginning.

Thanks for help.
Here is the complete version of the Lee Hsien Loong's post:

Exactly 50 years ago, Singapore’s then-Foreign Minister S Rajaratnam signed a joint communique with his Indonesian counterpart, Adam Malik, establishing formal diplomatic relations between the two countries. Since then, our relationship has grown and prospered. While we are neighbours by geography, we are partners by choice.

Last year’s retreat with Presiden Joko Widodo was in Semarang (http://bit.ly/2fU8uqw), so I was happy to reciprocate and welcome him here to celebrate our 50 years together. We discussed more areas that we can work on together, such as investments and skills training, digital technology, as well as tourism. You can watch my speech here:https://youtu.be/SrcRyMBaRGw.

– LHL

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Can I use response to instead of reciprocate ?

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can I use response to instead of reciprocate ?
Please re-write that question, marking words you're discussing by setting them in italics or surrounding them with quotation marks. Remember not to put a space before a question mark.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Can I use "response to" instead of "reciprocate?"
No. Note that "response" is a noun, whereas "reciprocate" is a verb. However, even "respond to" wouldn't mean the same as "reciprocate".
Have you looked up the meaning of "reciprocate" in the dictionary?

www.onelook.com

If you still need help with that, start a new thread. :)

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Polyester, note that Teechar has inserted the quotation marks that were missing from your post #4. Please remember to use these marks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And, Polyester, note that you were lucky this time. GoesStation specifically asked you to rewrite your post with those corrections but teechar showed you how to do it before you had a chance to do it yourself. You won't be so lucky next time, I'm sure.