I Need to Know the Origins of English Words!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bright One

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
United States
Hello every body..

I need your help finding good websites that tell the origins of English words, will you give me a hand?

I am pretty sure you'll do :)

Specifically, I'm searching for the origins of "hot dog", "redneck", and "jeep"!

But also I'll be in need to know about other words, so it's better to give me a website that does the task rather than annoying you each time :oops:

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I am pretty sure you'll do :)

:hi: I hope Anglika's links prove helpful.

Incidentally, one tiny correction - about the verb "do", which I know is very difficult to master!

What I think* you meant, after asking for help, is to say 'I'm sure you will...' (and after that you could either repeat "help", or say "do", or neither).

But in the phrase 'you'll do', 'do' usually (always?) means 'be good enough': e.g. 'You don't have the right experience, but you'll do'. You can even use it in a more extreme form [="you won't really do but I'll have to be satisfied with what I can get"] - "Hmmph. Oh well. I suppose you'll have to do."

b
*In fact, I'm almost certain ;-)

Bright One

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
United States
:hi: I hope Anglika's links prove helpful.

Incidentally, one tiny correction - about the verb "do", which I know is very difficult to master!

What I think* you meant, after asking for help, is to say 'I'm sure you will...' (and after that you could either repeat "help", or say "do", or neither).

But in the phrase 'you'll do', 'do' usually (always?) means 'be good enough': e.g. 'You don't have the right experience, but you'll do'. You can even use it in a more extreme form [="you won't really do but I'll have to be satisfied with what I can get"] - "Hmmph. Oh well. I suppose you'll have to do."

b
*In fact, I'm almost certain ;-)

How shameful was my speech :oops: (is there any suggestions about this sentence?) :lol:

It's really nice that I find some one corrects me when I wrote unconsciously :-D

The other good thing that you did not find any other mistakes in my whole post? maybe forgot something :lol:

Thank you all and if there are any other sites I can try, please feel free to post them. One of these above did not open and the other did not like it so much
:-(

Bright One

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
United States
Anglika, thank you for your attention ..

etymonline.com is a good one, but i did not find much information that I hoped to find.

The wikidictionary is not that good in my opinion.

Thank you anyway and if there are more cooperations they are welcomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.