I saw a robbery took place... Is it correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Helped Wanted

Guest
Is it correct to write:

I saw a robbery took place at Henrys Jewellery.

Thanks very much.
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say: "I saw a robbery take place."

:)
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
Helped Wanted said:
Is it correct to write:
I saw a robbery took place at Henrys Jewellery.

Here are some other forms:

1) The robbery, I saw, took place near my house. (OK)
==> 'robbery' takes the verb 'took place'.

2) I saw a robbery, which took place... (OK)
==> 'robbery' acts as the object of 'was' and also as the subject of 'took place': I saw a robbery; the robbery took place...

3) I saw a robbery take place. (OK)
==> 'robbery' acts as the object of 'saw'. 'take place' acts as an adjective modifying 'robbery'. Adjectives are not inflected for number or tense:

4) I saw a robbery took place. (Not OK)
==> 'took place' is inflected. It shouldn't be.

:D

:D
 
H

Helped Wanted

Guest
Thanks very very much for the list of other forms of writing the answer. ^o^
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Cas is very thorough.

:D
 
H

Helped Wanted

Guest
So, is it correct to use the preposition "at" in the sentence?

I saw a robbery which took place/take place at Henrys Jewellery.

What about the preposition used in the following sentence. Is it correct? Thanks again for helping! ^o^

Last Saturday, there were many people shopping in the Henrys Jewellery.
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
Helped Wanted said:
So, is it correct to use the preposition "at" in the sentence?

I saw a robbery which took place/take place at Henrys Jewellery.

Yes. It's ok. The preposition 'at' refers to a point in space, whereas the preposition 'in' refers to inside:

Examples:
At the bank. (a point in space)
In the bank. (inside the bank)

What about the preposition used in the following sentence.

Last Saturday, there were many people shopping in the Henry's Jewellery store.

It's ok. The people were in(side) the Jewellery store. You could also use 'shopping at the Henry's Jewellery store' and it would also mean they were inside the store.

Either 'in' or 'at' is ok. Speakers choose one over the other on the basis of to how they conceptualize space. 'at' is simple. It's a general point; 'in' is intrusive: it tells people exactly where you are.

Let's say a friend calls you on your cell phone and asks you where you are. You could say, "I'm at the store" (at a general location) or "I'm in the store" (inside the store). If you use 'in' you're giving your friend a picture of the 3D space in(side) the store. With that picture in mind, your friend may ask, "So what are you doing in(side) the store?". It's in that way, that using 'in' is different from using 'at'.

:D
 
R

Raddox

Guest
I would have said:
I saw a robbery TAKING place at Henrys Jewellery.
Or is that wrong?
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
Raddox said:
I would have said:
I saw a robbery TAKING place at Henrys Jewellery.
Or is that wrong?

It's great :D

I saw this happen vs. I saw this happening.

Both 'take' and 'taking' are fine.

Welcome :hi:
 
A

abrilsp

Guest
Hi :)

The preposition 'at' refers to a point in space, whereas the preposition 'in' refers to inside

What about in the sentence "people stood in their doors" or "...... at their doors" or both?
Many thanks

abrilsp
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Helped Wanted said:
So, is it correct to use the preposition "at" in the sentence?

I saw a robbery which took place/take place at Henrys Jewellery.

You use which with took but not with take:

  • I saw a robbery which took place at Henrys Jewellery.
    I saw a robbery take place at Henrys Jewellery.

Helped Wanted said:
What about the preposition used in the following sentence. Is it correct? Thanks again for helping! ^o^

Last Saturday, there were many people shopping in the Henrys Jewellery.

That is okay, but more idiomatic would be:

  • Last Saturday, there were many people shopping at Henrys Jewellery.

:D
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
RonBee said:
Helped Wanted said:
So, is it correct to use the preposition "at" in the sentence?

I saw a robbery which took place/take place at Henrys Jewellery.

You use which with took but not with take:

  • I saw a robbery which took place at Henrys Jewellery.
    I saw a robbery take place at Henrys Jewellery.

Helped Wanted said:
What about the preposition used in the following sentence. Is it correct? Thanks again for helping! ^o^

Last Saturday, there were many people shopping in the Henrys Jewellery.

That is okay, but more idiomatic would be:

  • Last Saturday, there were many people shopping at Henrys Jewellery.

:D

I agree with you Ron, Because this robbery took place in the past, "which took place" is correct. In AE, we would tend to use 'that" instead of "which" here, because it is a restrictive clause.

"Which" and "that" have no natural number. They take their number from their antecedents. Either can take a plural or singular verb in the third person present tense.

The graduation program, which takes place every year, was held on June 1.

Graduation programs, which take place every year, are held in the summer.
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
MikeNewYork said:
RonBee said:
Helped Wanted said:
So, is it correct to use the preposition "at" in the sentence?

I saw a robbery which took place/take place at Henrys Jewellery.

You use which with took but not with take:

  • I saw a robbery which took place at Henrys Jewellery.
    I saw a robbery take place at Henrys Jewellery.

Helped Wanted said:
What about the preposition used in the following sentence. Is it correct? Thanks again for helping! ^o^

Last Saturday, there were many people shopping in the Henrys Jewellery.

That is okay, but more idiomatic would be:

  • Last Saturday, there were many people shopping at Henrys Jewellery.

:D

I agree with you Ron, Because this robbery took place in the past, "which took place" is correct. In AE, we would tend to use 'that" instead of "which" here, because it is a restrictive clause.

"Which" and "that" have no natural number. They take their number from their antecedents. Either can take a plural or singular verb in the third person present tense.

The graduation program, which takes place every year, was held on June 1.

Graduation programs, which take place every year, are held in the summer.

Thanks a bunch!

:D
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
RonBee said:
MikeNewYork said:
RonBee said:
Helped Wanted said:
So, is it correct to use the preposition "at" in the sentence?

I saw a robbery which took place/take place at Henrys Jewellery.

You use which with took but not with take:

  • I saw a robbery which took place at Henrys Jewellery.
    I saw a robbery take place at Henrys Jewellery.

Helped Wanted said:
What about the preposition used in the following sentence. Is it correct? Thanks again for helping! ^o^

Last Saturday, there were many people shopping in the Henrys Jewellery.

That is okay, but more idiomatic would be:

  • Last Saturday, there were many people shopping at Henrys Jewellery.

:D

I agree with you Ron, Because this robbery took place in the past, "which took place" is correct. In AE, we would tend to use 'that" instead of "which" here, because it is a restrictive clause.

"Which" and "that" have no natural number. They take their number from their antecedents. Either can take a plural or singular verb in the third person present tense.

The graduation program, which takes place every year, was held on June 1.

Graduation programs, which take place every year, are held in the summer.

Thanks a bunch!

:D

You're welcome. Thanks for the homophone correction. Where is the edit button in this joint? :roll:
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
On the right, at the top of each post is Reply, Quote, Edit, X (for delete), and IP.
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
RonBee said:
On the right, at the top of each post is Reply, Quote, Edit, X (for delete), and IP.

It wasn't there and then it reappeared. Strange.
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
MikeNewYork said:
RonBee said:
On the right, at the top of each post is Reply, Quote, Edit, X (for delete), and IP.

It wasn't there and then it reappeared. Strange.

Funny things happen in cyberspace.

:wink:
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
RonBee said:
MikeNewYork said:
RonBee said:
On the right, at the top of each post is Reply, Quote, Edit, X (for delete), and IP.

It wasn't there and then it reappeared. Strange.

Funny things happen in cyberspace.

:wink:

Amen that! :roll:
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Both funny haha and funny peculiar. ;-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top