Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Iran
Despite the fact that starting a family involves a big commitment, I think it is worth it.

I think the first it refers to "starting a family". How about the second it. Is it dummy it?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Despite the fact that starting a family involves a big commitment, I think it is worth it.

Good question. No, it's not a dummy it. The second it refers to a big commitment: Starting a family is worth a big commitment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaedrus

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sometimes we use "it's worth it" even when the second "it" doesn't refer to a previous noun phrase. I think the second "it" can be interpreted as referring in a vague way to the consequences. The sentence "I think it's worth it" reminds me of a scene from the film The Insider (1999), staring Russell Crowe as Jeffrey Wigand, an ex-tobacco scientist who blows the whistle on a major tobacco company. At the conclusion of the 60 Minutes interview that lies at the film's heart, there is the following exchange between Mike Wallace and Jeffrey Wigand. It's a powerful moment in the film.

Mike Wallace: And do you wish you hadn't come forward? Do you wish you hadn't blown the whistle?
Jeffrey Wigand: Yeah, there are times I wish I hadn't done it. There are times I feel compelled to do it. If you asked me, Would I do it again? Do I think it's worth it? Yeah, I think it's worth it.