Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
At Automobile repair shop, Jimmy met Earl:

Jimmy: Now, it has to be dependable. I can't have no chance of it breaking down.
Earl: You want a camper coverin' the bed of the truck? Or just empty?
Jimmy: Yeah, a cover's a good idea. 'Cause them campers can get kinda creepy. I think them cops more likely to give them camper trucks a second look.

Is "them" really needed?

Source: Logan Lucky 2017

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I suspect that Jimmy is the sort of person that talks that way. So it's needed there.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't care how Jimmy thinks. Please tell me whether "them" is needed.

Yes. It's fictional dialogue. If the writer thinks it's needed, then it's needed.

The bad grammar ("them" instead of "those") fits the Jimmy character: a poorly educated working-class crook.

If that doesn't answer your question, tell us more about what you're trying to figure out.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't care how Jimmy role thinks, please tell me "them" is needed or not?

Kingston, I hope you understand that the dialog in your book is written in very informal English. It's not a good model for a learner trying to perfect his or her English.

kingston_123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Kingston, I hope you understand that the dialog in your book is written in very informal English. It's not a good model for a learner trying to perfect his or her English.

infomal or very informal, my question speaks English and also related to English, so it fits here.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Kingston, as we have told you before, it is important to use correct capitalisation and punctuation in your written English. If you keep ignoring our advice, you might find that we are less inclined to answer your questions at all.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
infomal or very informal, my question speaks English and also related to English, so it fits here.

It does. Most mainstream speakers would use something like those cops are more likely. Removing it without a replacement works less well.