I told him I will go out again after I take my groceries home.

ansonguy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Yesterday morning, I called a plumber to fix my leaky tap. During my shopping, the plumber talked to me over the phone. After we hung up, I talked to my friend over the phone about my appointment with the plumber. I am going to write down my conversations with both the plumber and my friend below.

(ex)my conversation with the plumber

The plumber asked me,"Can I come in earlier because one of my clients canceled his appointment?"

I replied,"Sorry, you can't come earlier because I'm shopping right now. I will go out again after I take my groceries home."

One hour after the plumber called me, my friend talked to me over the phone.
Jack asked, "Where are you?"
I said, "I am walking home."
He asked, "Has your tap been fixed yet?"
I said,"No. The plumber wanted to fix it earlier. But, I told him that I will (would) go out again after I take my groceries after I (took) take my groceries home."

In the red clause, I should use "will .... take" because I was still walking home when I talked to my friend about the plumber.
I think I should use "would .... took" if I talked to him about the plumber after I put my groceries home.

Is my reasoning correct? Please give me your feedback. Thanks a lot.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think both are possible- it's more about your view of what you're reporting than your geographical location.