Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
John (on the phone to an HR of a company): Hi, can I please speak to Lynn.

Lynn (working as an HR with a company): Yes, speaking. How can I help you?

John: Actually ma'am I am looking for a job that is why I have called you.

Lynn: Where did you get my phone number from?

John: I got your details through a website (or through the internet). I was looking for the job adverts online. I clicked on one of the links, a page opened containing your name and phone number.

Lynn: OK.

Could you please check my sentences?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
John (on the phone with an HR representative of a company): Hi, can I please speak to Lynn? See Note 1
Lynn ([STRIKE]working as [/STRIKE]an HR representative for the company): Yes, speaking. How can I help you?

John: Actually, ma'am, I am looking for a job. That is why I have called you. See Note 2

Lynn: Where did you get my phone number from?

John: I got your details through a website (or through the internet). I was looking at [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] job adverts online. I clicked on one of the links, and a page opened containing your name and phone number.

Lynn: OK.

Could you please check my sentences?

Note 1: A person is not "an HR." They can work for HR or be an HR employee/representative. In this case, the title of the person is "recruiter."
Note 2: I'm calling about a job I saw advertised online. -- This is far more likely than "I'm looking for a job." To say "I'm calling about the accounting position I saw advertised online" or "I'm calling about the customer service job that was advertised in the classified ads in The Journal yesterday."