I was talking to Jane on phone and put her on hold for a minute but when I retrieved

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I was talking to Jane on phone and put her on hold for a minute but when I retrieved the call and said hello she didn't respond.

Is my sentence correct? Do we retrieve the call after putting someone on hold?

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. I imagine people who work in call centers have a term for that act, but the rest of us make do with saying something like when I came back to/took the call off hold.

Your sentence is nearly correct. It's missing an article and some punctuation.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It sounds like Jane is a friend so there is no need to use such formal language to talk about this. I've never put a friend "on hold" in my life. If I'm chatting and I need to run off and do something quickly, I just say "Don't go anywhere. I'll be back in a mo!"

To describe the situation in a more natural way, use something like "I was chatting to Jane on the phone and I had to run off and stop the pan of soup boiling over. When I got back to the phone, she'd gone!"

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
No. I imagine people who work in call centers have a term for that act, but the rest of us make do with saying something like when I came back to/took the call off hold.

Your sentence is nearly correct. It's missing an article and some punctuation.

If that person is not a friend then what should we say? We can say retrieve the call right?

I was talking to an office on phone and put him on hold and when I took the call off hold and said hello he didn't reply so I disconnected the call.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If that person is not a friend, then what should we say? We can say retrieve the call, right?

I was talking to an office on phone and put him on hold and when I took the call off hold and said hello he didn't reply so I disconnected the call.

Why have you called an office "him"?
You have used "and" three times, and used "so" once in one sentence. That should be a clue that your sentence is unnecessarily long.

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If that person is not a friend then what should we say? We can say retrieve the call right?

Retrieve the call is logical and would probably be understood. It's just not idiomatic.

Your sentence is still missing an article.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Why have you called an office "him"?
You have used "and" three times, and used "so" once in one sentence. That should be a clue that your sentence is unnecessarily long.

I meant an officer.