Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I think this had better be "I wish I had all those things." as it indicates his present state, not the past one. If this is true, is it because some native speakers sometimes don't speak logically?

gu126)I see a funny face drawn in the sand. It's smiling at me, with round eyes, a wide smile, and a short funny nose. Most likely the hcild who drew it has loving parents who have brought him on holiday to the seaside. They've surely given him everything that I've never had. He's probably staying in a fancy hotel and even if he isn't, he's still living better than I am. I wish I could stay in a nice hotel too, but I can't. That child must have everything he needs to make his life happy. I wish I had had all those things.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think this had better be "I wish I had all those things." as it indicates his present state, not the past one. If this is true, is it because some native speakers sometimes don't speak logically?

gu126)I see a funny face drawn in the sand. It's smiling at me, with round eyes, a wide smile, and a short funny nose. Most likely the hcild who drew it has loving parents who have brought him on holiday to the seaside. They've surely given him everything that I've never had. He's probably staying in a fancy hotel and even if he isn't, he's still living better than I am. I wish I could stay in a nice hotel too, but I can't. That child must have everything he needs to make his life happy. I wish I had had all those things.

I think he is referring back to when he was a child. He wishes he had had all those things when he was a child, like the child he thinks drew the funny face in the sand.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I think he is referring back to when he was a child. He wishes he had had all those things when he was a child, like the child he thinks drew the funny face in the sand.

That's how I read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.