Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
During summer vocation, school kids engage in a variety of funny plays. But here's the catch: they should play well, sleep well, lest their determination to study well get weakened.

(The sentence is made by me to see whether it is natural English. The question is whether "lest their determination to study well get weakened" sounds natural in English.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Re: I wonder whether "their determination to study gets weakened" is natural

No, it doesn't.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

During summer vacation, school kids engage in a variety of [STRIKE]funny[/STRIKE] fun [STRIKE]plays[/STRIKE] activities. But here's the catch: they should play well, sleep well, lest their determination to study [STRIKE]well[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]get[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]weakened[/STRIKE] weakens.

(I made up the sentence [STRIKE]is made by me[/STRIKE] to see whether it is natural English. The question is whether "lest their determination to study well get weakened" sounds natural in English. It doesn't. See above.

Thanks. How [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] can I improve it then?

See my corrections above.

Kids don't "engage in funny plays". A "funny play" is a humorous theatre performance. Look up the definition of "funny" and "play" (noun). I don't know what you mean by "play well" and "sleep well", nor do I see the connection between that and their determination to study.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

See my corrections above.

Kids don't "engage in funny plays". A "funny play" is a humorous theatre performance. Look up the definition of "funny" and "play" (noun). I don't know what you mean by "play well" and "sleep well", nor do I see the connection between that and their determination to study.

Kids love fun activities. Yet too much activities and less sleep would make them tired. With the result that they would have less energy to study.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Kids love fun activities [STRIKE]yet[/STRIKE] but too [STRIKE]much[/STRIKE] many activities and [STRIKE]less[/STRIKE] too little sleep would make them tired, with the result that they would have less energy to study.

See above.