Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Iran
I would like to be able to gain a real insight into English and (would like to be able to) become professional enough to be able to teach this language in a prestigious university and achieve my teaching ambition.

Does the words in parenthesis put correctly? I have a doubt between "would like to be able to " and "to gain".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would like (delete to be able) to gain a real insight into English and would like (delete to be able) to become proficient enough to be able to teach this language in a prestigious university and achieve my teaching ambition.

Are the words in parentheses put correctly? I have doubts about whether to use "would like to be able to " or "to gain".

You've used "to gain" correctly.

The phrase "would like to be able to" doesn't work. You want to be able to? Either you're able to or you're not.

It would be better to say "I would like to gain a real insight into English and become proficient enough to . . . ."

That's more concise.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
'I would like to be able to gain a real insight into English and become professional enough to be able to teach this language in a prestigious university.'

That's all you need.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd end it at university, too. The reader will understand that it's your ambition.

sania-baharat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Iran
'I would like to be able to gain a real insight into English and become professional enough to be able to teach this language in a prestigious university.'

That's all you need.
Thank you.
Bhaisahab, your suggestion is still confusing to me, as I still can't figure out which one is applied: :roll:
"I would like to be able to become professional..." or "to be able to become professional.."

I would like to be able to gain a real insight into English and (would like to )become professional enough to be able to teach this language in a prestigious university.

I would like to be able to gain a real insight into English and (to be able to )become professional enough to be able to teach this language in a prestigious university.

Last edited: