Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Please help me to grasp the meaning of this idiom: what does it mean when we say that a certain idea is as practical as going to sea in a piano?:roll: Mr soliman

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Please help me to grasp the meaning of this idiom: what does it mean when we say that a certain idea is as practical as going to sea in a piano?:roll: Mr soliman

I don't know this idiom but it's quite easy to understand. Can you imagine trying to go to sea in a piano, do you think it would be practical? An idea which is as practical as going to sea in a piano is not at all practical.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't know this idiom but it's quite easy to understand. Can you imagine trying to go to sea in a piano, do you think it would be practical? An idea which is as practical as going to sea in a piano is not at all practical.

Ha ha! I've never heard this one either, but I quite like it.

"Going to sea" means to set sail, to set out onto the water, so the idiom is fairly self-explanatory. It would not be easy or practical to try to use a piano as a boat, therefore the idea in question is clearly not practical at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.