idioms meaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Can you help to find the meanings og the following idioms listed below?
1. a spitting image
2. a crying shame
3. a nagging doubt
4. a saving grace
5. all the rage
6. a labor of love
7. with a vengeance
8. swallow one's pride
9. in good/bad faith
10. a vested interest

I hope that you can help me. Please help me....

Thank YOU!

Horsa

Member Type
English Teacher
1. a spitting image - Looks identical

2. a crying shame - unjust/unfair

3. a nagging doubt - a feeling that something is wrong, but you don't know exactly what
4. a saving grace - one redeeming feature/ one (the only) good point in his/her/its favour
5. all the rage - very fashionable at the moment

6. a labor of love -hard work done not for financial or other material gain but simply because you enjoy doing it or sometimes because you feel it should be done.
7. with a vengeance - often 'came back with a vengence' For example, when an illness seems to go away for a time or starts to get better, but then returns much worse than it was before we say 'It came back with a vengence.'
8. swallow one's pride - used when you have to admit you were wrong or have to ask someone you don't like for a favour. It means you have to ignore the feeling of shame inside you and go ahead and apologise or ask as the case may be.
9. in good/bad faith - Usually this is 'in good faith' and it is used when you did something in the mistaken belief that you were doing the right thing at the time.
10. a vested interest - This means that someone has something to gain from a situation. For example, My colleague is thinking of leaving the company and asks me for advice. I know that if he leaves I will get his job which pays more than mine. I have a vested interest in him leaving the company so I am not the right person to ask for advice inthis situation.

Hope that helps :)

Horsa

Member Type
English Teacher
1. a spitting image - Looks identical

2. a crying shame - unjust/unfair

3. a nagging doubt - a feeling that something is wrong, but you don't know exactly what
4. a saving grace - one redeeming feature/ one (the only) good point in his/her/its favour
5. all the rage - very fashionable at the moment

6. a labor of love -hard work done not for financial or other material gain but simply because you enjoy doing it or sometimes because you feel it should be done.
7. with a vengeance - often 'came back with a vengence' For example, when an illness seems to go away for a time or starts to get better, but then returns much worse than it was before we say 'It came back with a vengence.'
8. swallow one's pride - used when you have to admit you were wrong or have to ask someone you don't like for a favour. It means you have to ignore the feeling of shame inside you and go ahead and apologise or ask as the case may be.
9. in good/bad faith - Usually this is 'in good faith' and it is used when you did something in the mistaken belief that you were doing the right thing at the time.
10. a vested interest - This means that someone has something to gain from a situation. For example, My colleague is thinking of leaving the company and asks me for advice. I know that if he leaves I will get his job which pays more than mine. I have a vested interest in him leaving the company so I am not the right person to ask for advice inthis situation.

Hope that helps :)

Horsa

Member Type
English Teacher
Sorry I didn't mean to post that answer twice. For some reason I was not recognised by the system and had to re login when I tried to pot. The system then returned me to the unposted message and so I reposted it not realising it was already done.

shalstudent

VIP Member
Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1. a spitting image--the exact resemblance to someone.
Eg: My brother is the spitting image of my mother.

2. a crying shame-- a sad or an unfortunate situation.
Eg: It was a crying shame that he did not get the managerial position.

3. a nagging doubt--a disturbing and uneasy feeling that something is not right.
Eg: Even though he was pronounced guilty in court, I had a nagging doubt that he was innocent.

4. a saving grace--something that saves someone or something that would otherwise have been an utter disaster.
Eg:The team's only saving grace was the captain. The game would, otherwise, have been lost.

5. all the rage-to be in current/new fashion.
Eg: Her new skirt was all the rage throughout the year.

6. a labor of love--something done for personal pleasure and not for the pleasure of money.
Eg: His teaching is a labor of love and he doesn't expect any pay from doing it.

7. with a vengeance--with determination.
Eg: The ----- team came out with a vengeance after the break and easily won the game.

8. swallow one's pride--to become humble.
Eg: He was in deep debt and had to swallow his pride and ask his father for some money.

9. in good/bad faith--honest/bad intentions.
Eg: Act in good faith and he will believe you.

10. a vested interest--a special interest in an arrangement/something for particular personal reason.
Eg: As a propreitor of the company, he had a vested interest in making the business run smoothly.

albertino

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Can you help to find the meanings og the following idioms listed below?
1. a spitting image :
to look exactly like someone else
2. a crying shame :
A great/terrible shame
3. a nagging doubt:
Making you feel doubt all the time
4. a saving grace:
The one good thing that makes someone or something acceptable
5. all the rage:
(Informal)To be very popular or fashionable
6. a labor of love:
Something that is hard work but that you do because you want to
7. with a vengeance:
With great force or more effort than before
8. swallow one's pride:
To do something even though it is embarrassing for you, because you have no choice
9. in bad faith:
If someone does something in bad faith, they are behaving dishonestly and have no intention of keeping a promise
in good faith:
When a person, country etc intends to be honest and sincere and does not intend to deceive anyone
10. a vested interest:
A strong reason for wanting something to happen because you will gain from it

I hope that you can help me. Please help me....

Thank YOU!
;-)(Not a teacher)

Status
Not open for further replies.