idioms

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

could you explaine to me the meaning of the following idioms with examples if you please ?

the idioms are :-

1- par for the course
2- monday morning quarterback

thanks for your help

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
koko said:
could you explaine to me the meaning of the following idioms with examples if you please ?

the idioms are :-

1- par for the course
2- monday morning quarterback

thanks for your help

The phrase "par for the course" means "the usual" or "that which is to be expected". Example: "There's Ron, trying to be the first to answer the questions. That's par for the course. - :wink:

A "monday morning quarterback" is somebody who analyses an event after it happens, possibly speculating on how he could have done things better. Example: "Ron is a monday morning quarterback. After TDOL does all the work Ron tells him what he did wrong and how he (Ron) would have done it better."

:wink:

shane

Member Type
Student or Learner
RonBee said:
A "monday morning quarterback" is somebody who analyses an event after it happens, possibly speculating on how he could have done things better. Example: "Ron is a monday morning quarterback. After TDOL does all the work Ron tells him what he did wrong and how he (Ron) would have done it better."

:wink:

I never knew that. You live and learn!! :wink:

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The expression comes from American football. The pro games are usually played on Sunday. Those who analyze the game the next day (Monday) are the Monday morning quarterbacks.

8)

Status
Not open for further replies.