Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

"(2) that there are a variety of climatological, meteorological, astrological, thermological, cosmological, and ecological dynamics that can effect [sic] world weather phenomena …"

Does [sic] in the given context denote
that "the meaning in the quote has been reproduced verbatim from the original?"

Yes. The word used should have been "affect" (not "effect") so the writer adds [sic] after the incorrectly spelt word to show that the error was in the original, not a typo made when reproducing it.

8. Be aware of unhelpful relationship patterns. "For example, if a friend has been ringing you everyday [sic] to tell you how miserable they are, won't try things that are likely to help their mood, and never asks about your day, you might need to figure out how you can set some limits and expectations without withdrawing your support. Doing this in the right way is likely to benefit both of you."
More: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/in-practice/201301/how-help-someone-depression

If I want to quote a paragraph or sentence from others' writings for the sake of learning. But it contains a grammatical error, should I use [sic]?

P.S.: Please note that I just want to work it out not to wrong others.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Status
Not open for further replies.