Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Are commas used correctly in this sentence?

"I forget names and things easily, but if it is something, that I am interested in, I remember it."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You don't need the second one or the third one.

(Originally, I didn't notice that there are three commas there.)

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd go for I forget names and things easily but, if it is something that I am interested in, I remember it.
Initially, I wrote exactly the same thing but when I removed the section between the commas, I wasn't happy with the result:

I forget names and things easily but I remember it.

My tendency is to put extra information between commas as long as the sentence outside the commas still makes sense.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Initially, I wrote exactly the same thing but when I removed the section between the commas, I wasn't happy with the result:

I forget names and things easily but I remember it.

My tendency is to put extra information between commas as long as the sentence outside the commas still makes sense.

I'm not sure I follow. The bit between the commas is not extra information—on the contrary, it's crucial information. It's the condition clause.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not sure I follow. The bit between the commas is not extra information—on the contrary, it's crucial information. It's the condition clause.
Exactly my point. Initially, I put commas around that crucial information because I looked at the "but" and immediately thought "Well, the comma should be after 'but', not before it" so I put it there and added a second comma after "interested in". It was only then that I read the entire sentence again and realised that I had made an error so I amended my post.