If the locals at a country are being charged to see a monument then the foreigners sh

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
If the locals at a country are being charged to see a monument then the foreigners should be charged three times the price that is being charged by the locals.

Please check my sentences.

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They're locals in a country.

You mean charged to the locals. With "by", it means that the locals are doing the charging.

Tufguy, I want to reiterate what others have said. Your English will improve if you start reading a lot of English. Choose reasonably recent books -- say, from the last fifty years or so -- to gain exposure to modern usage.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
They're locals in a country.

You mean charged to the locals. With "by", it means that the locals are doing the charging.

Tufguy, I want to reiterate what others have said. Your English will improve if you start reading a lot of English. Choose reasonably recent books -- say, from the last fifty years or so -- to gain exposure to modern usage.

Okay, I will do that.

If the locals at a country are being charged to see a monument then the foreigners should be charged three times the price that is being charged to the locals.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Are you in the habit of cutting and pasting text, tufguy? If so, I suggest you get out of it. You should retype it even if it's troublesome.

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tufguy has said he accesses the forum through a smartphone. That can make typing more difficult, but I agree with TZF that retyping will help the learner retain new information.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Tufguy has said he accesses the forum through a smartphone. That can make typing more difficult, but I agree with TZF that retyping will help the learner retain new information.

No, actually I couldn't get that. Okay, so it should be locals in a country. Sorry for my mistake.

If the locals in a country are being charged to see a monument then the foreigners should be charged three times the price that is being charged to the locals.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm now going to play devil's advocate. By "locals in a country", do you mean the people who live there (regardless of their nationality) or do you mean people who were actually born in and hold the nationality of that country?

There could be plenty of "foreigners" (people who hold a different passport) who live permanently in that country. How do you decide what to charge them?

Practicalities aside, you're still making sentences way longer than they need to be.

"Tourists/foreign tourists should be charged three times as much as locals for admission to the monument."

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I'm now going to play devil's advocate. By "locals in a country", do you mean the people who live there (regardless of their nationality) or do you mean people who were actually born in and hold the nationality of that country?

There could be plenty of "foreigners" (people who hold a different passport) who live permanently in that country. How do you decide what to charge them?

Practicalities aside, you're still making sentences way longer than they need to be.

"Tourists/foreign tourists should be charged three times as much as locals for admission to the monument."

I am talking about the people who come to visit a country. Who do not have the nationality of that country.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am talking about the people who come to visit a country, who do not have the nationality of that country.

Call them "tourists" or "foreign tourists". Don't just call them "foreigners" for the reasons I gave previously.