Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'm not quite sure what the following in red is saying. What does it mean?

There were certain projects that I really did not want to be involved in, and yet I participated in them (even though I could drop out of them if I wanted to) simply because I was unable to say no. I was even willing to pay a high price (in terms of my physical health) if this meant that I could get someone else to say no on my behalf. As soon as I realized this, I was able to find the courage to listen to myself and follow my own desires.

Thank you.

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
As an NES but not a teacher, I believe your problem is with unnecessarily long sentences/paragraphs.

Try this reformat - just for clarity:

There were projects that I specifically did not want to be involved in.

Even though I could drop out of them if I wanted to,
I participated in them simply because I didn't have the courage to say "No!".

I was even willing to pay a high price (in health terms) just waiting for someone else to say "No!" for me.

As soon as I realized/realised this, I was able to find the courage to listen to myself and follow my own desires.

Does this help make it clearer?

Regards
R21

PS: The person that effectively said "No!" could have been a colleague, a project leader or a health professional, who could see what was happening from "outside".

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I assume he means that he was willing to make himself sick so that he could get a doctor to say that he was not fit/healthy enough to take part in those projects. That way, someone was saying "No" on his behalf.

Status
Not open for further replies.