Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Is the following sentences correctly written?
1- If you are a sensible person, don't make jokes about any personal issues.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, that sentiment would start "If you've got any sense, ...". I'd remove "any" in the second half.

subhajit123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In BrE, that sentiment would start "If you've got any sense, ...". I'd remove "any" in the second half.

I also think 'any' is redundant here. Does inclusion of it make the sentence Ungrammatical?:?:

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Sensible" means "reasonable" so I guess it is okay but I would use "polite" instead.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. They are two different words and sensible people are not necessarily polite. That I can tell you. What's why I think "polite" is more appropriate in this case.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The use, in BrE, of "If you've got any sense, you'll/you won't/don't ..." has nothing to do with politeness. It means "If you don't want to see the (negative) results/the fallout of ...".

Mary's very touchy about her big ears. If you've got any sense, you won't mention them! (The suggestion here is that there will be an unpleasant reaction from Mary if you do and that the sensible thing to do is keep your mouth shut!)

John and Fiona really don't get on but I want to invite both of them to my party. John will be upset if Fiona gets invited and he doesn't. Fiona will get upset if John gets invited and she doesn't. If I've got any sense, I won't invite either of them. (The suggestion here is that I'll think sensibly about it and, to avoid them getting into an argument, I'll leave both of them off the invitation list.)

Neither example has anything to do with politeness, more with a sort of self-preservation.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"1- If you are a sensible person, don't make jokes about any personal issues."

In any case, the use of the imperative in the second clause doesn't make sense, and is not natural. If you say, "Don't make jokes about personal issues", you are not just talking to sensible people. In fact, it's more appropriate to say this to people who aren't sensible.
You'll note that ems has changed these "don't do this" to "you won't do this" etc. in order for it to make sense.

You can use an imperative with, "If you want to be a sensible/polite person, ..."; "If you want to be known as a sensible/polite person, ..."

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The use, in BrE, of "If you've got any sense, you'll/you won't/don't ..." has nothing to do with politeness. It means "If you don't want to see the (negative) results/the fallout of ...".

EMS, thanks for pointing that out but I was solely referring to the OP. I didn't make a comment on your suggestion.

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

"If you've got any sense, don't make jokes about personal issues."

I could see myself using this sentence in a certain context. That context would be if I was in an argument that has become heated between me and another person. It could be a prelude to a fight really. though I might change the wording slightly.

"If you've got any sense, you won't make jokes about personal issues."

Used in this fashion it would be a threat.

However, as a blanket statement I don't think it is correct since it sort of implies that if you have "no sense" it is OK to make such jokes.,

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.