importance of phonetics and Phonology ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

What is the importance of using phonetics and phonology in teaching English for foreign students?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
dmt_mst said:
What is the importance of using phonetics and phonology in teaching English for foreign students?

These fields would help foreign students learn how to pronounce English words and sentences. :wink:

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It depends on how you do it. Many students don't have much interest in learning phonemic symbols. Teaching in the UK, I do find that they way words change in spoken English is very important for students to understand native speakers, especially unstressed forms. ;-)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
tdol said:
It depends on how you do it. Many students don't have much interest in learning phonemic symbols. Teaching in the UK, I do find that they way words change in spoken English is very important for students to understand native speakers, especially unstressed forms. ;-)

That's an excellent point. I am actually a bigger fan of "phonics" than I am of "phonetics". The various vowel and consonant sounds can be taught without the use of elaborate symbols.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agree, but teaching the mechanics of the sound changes is useful. I rarely use symbols to explain things. ;-)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
tdol said:
I agree, but teaching the mechanics of the sound changes is useful. I rarely use symbols to explain things. ;-)

It takes longer to explain the symbols. +|;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.