Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
Hi there

Firstly I would like to say that I think of myself as an average level speaker of English.

I would like to improve my English before I start on an English course at the end of febuary. I would like to train the following things: exrpessing yourself, translating skills and understanding skills. So if anyone know any kind of resources (like web pages, books or just some hints) that would help me please tell me. I would especially like some things where I could get to express myself.

And I could really use some native speakers of English to help me get better!

So if there is anybody out there who up for that then it would be just great!

By the way I am from Denmark so please keep that in mind when helping me.
I am looking very much forward to your help!

lo2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
Well it could be nice if there asnyone out there who were willing to help me out on this!

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other

Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Germany
I think we are all a bit busy at the moment!

However, have a look at these:

Reading Comprehension Skills

What are comprehension skills?

Study Skills - Reading Comprehension

What Every Novice Translator Should Know

Improving Writing Skills - Effective Writing & Written Communication Mind Tools

If you want to post anything you write for comment, you are very welcome to do so. Just make sure we know what you are asking us to do.

I wonder Angelika how you find all those great websites. I make use of them but often forget the links. Have you collected them as link resources somewhere we can go to? Thanks

Broadly speaking everything is a translation or rendering. Food is rendered into energy. Linguistically translation often compromises ie betrays the original text especiially literary texts because it ignores the melody of the original. Thus a literary text has to be rendered twice:
1. Translation for capturing meaning
2. Translation for capturing at least some of the melody of the original

A literary text should be read as far as possible in its original. This involves learning a new language since some ideas and concepts cannot be translated because they are not found in other languages.

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
Why wouldn't you bookmark the pages after you have visited each of these which Anglika had posted?
Go to the toolbar of your the Internet navigation tools (Browser) such as Microsoft's Internet Explorer, Netscape's Navigator or Mozilla's Firefox and click the option (button) named as "Bookmark this page" or similar.
Under the "Bookmarks" tools there is also an option to make and arrange different directories in which you are able to arrange the list of the bookmarked pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.