Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Japan
Consider: The switch is turned ON when the (computer) flag is one of 1 and 0 and turned OFF when the flag is the other of 1 and 0.

I am trying to rewrite the above sentence more simply. I would like to know "in accordance with" or "according to" which is better for the following sentence:

The switch is turned ON or OFF in accordance with/according to the flag value.

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The switch is ON when the flag is one or zero. Apparently this flag is non-binary and can accept other values.

rama9

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Japan
The switch is ON when the flag is one or zero. Apparently this flag is non-binary and can accept other values.

My example may be not good. I would like only to know which of "in accordance with" and "according to" is better to describe a situation where something (the state of the switch) changes with a change in something (the flag value).

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Use according to. You can use in accordance with to write (formally) about complying with a rule.

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
I think of "in accordance with" as being legalese. I'd recommend not using it outside the context of law and government, and even then only use it in formal contexts (like when the intended readers are lawyers, judges, legislators, and law students).