English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hello,

I've understood that we use 'opposite' to say on the other side when there is something that separates the two things.
For example, I'm sitting opposite my friend at the table'. But, in this example would it be wrong to say 'I'm sitting in front of my friend'?

Thank you.

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you and your friend are facing each other, neither of you is in front of the other. Therefore it would be wrong to say one of you was.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
If you and your friend are facing each other, neither of you is in front of the other.
What about instead of sitting, they were standing in front of each other without a table in between?
The only difference is that they are standing, and the table is gone. Is it the sitting or the table that makes the difference?
I contend that they could be described as both being in front of the other. It's not natural in some instances though.

"My girlfriend and I were sitting in front of each other across the bar table, staring eye to eye, and I said ..."

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"My girlfriend and I were sitting in front of each other across the bar table, staring eye to eye, and I said ..."
While I don't think anyone would have any trouble understanding that, it doesn't seem natural to me. I'd say you were sitting facing each other.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I guess we speak differently in Aus!