Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I am wondering if my sentences are grammatically correct.

In the days following his wife's death, David did all kinds of jobs around his house to avoid thinking of her. He chopped off branches, cut the wood, grated leaves, painted the fence and replaced broken roof tiles. But when her picture came up in his mind, he felt a pang sadness and was unable to do start with anything.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How on earth does one "grate leaves"? Did you perhaps mean "raked leaves"?
I'd use "image", not "picture".
"to do start" is incorrect.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I meant to write "raked leaves."

I will repeat my sentence.

In the days following his wife's death, David did all kinds of jobs around his house to avoid thinking of her. He chopped off branches, cut the wood, raked fallen leaves. painted the fence and replaced broken roof tiles. But when her image came up in his mind, he felt a pang of sadness and was unable to start with anything.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I meant to write "raked leaves."

I will repeat my sentence.

In the days following his wife's death, David did all kinds of jobs around his house to avoid thinking of her. He chopped off branches, cut [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] wood, raked fallen leaves, painted the fence and replaced broken roof tiles. But whenever her image came [STRIKE]up[/STRIKE] into his mind, he felt a pang of sadness and was unable to start [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] anything.

See my changes above. I'm confused about the end. He clearly was able to start lots of things (all the work you listed). Perhaps it would be better to say that whenever he thought of her, he found he could not continue doing anything, or he had to stop what he was doing.