Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi,

Here's a fragment from "One Year to a Writing Life" by Susan M. Tiberghien:
"The word habit refers to a routine, but also to a stole, to a costume befitting a calling. In the same way that a monk puts on a traditional habit, so the writer puts on a traditional habit."​

I understand this fragment, but the second sentence drew my attention: it doesn't look familiar to me. The construction seems to be as follows: "In the same way that someone does something, so someone else does something else".

In particular, two things seem strange: the use of "that" in place of "as" and the use of "so" after the comma. Could you please comment on these two uses? Do they sound natural? Are they stylistic figures? Could I use them in my own sentences, or would I run too much risk?

Thanks,
nyggus

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You understand the sentence and the usage correctly. The usage is not a common one but it looks good to me in that sentence.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
There's no need to take apart that structure. It's correct and natural. I suggest you take note of it and learn it. By the way, replacing "that" with "as" would not work in the above.