In what way does one refer to the land where you live?

Soseki

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello,

In what way does one refer to the land where you live?

As in a conversation with my neighbor.

A. Your land is spacious.
B. Your plot is spacious.
C. Your lot is spacious.
D. Your grounds are spacious.

Which one is acceptable?

Thank you

J

J&K Tutoring

We do use space to describe area, but I tend to think of "spacious" as describing something with 3 dimensions: a spacious house, a spacious car, etc. Land is strictly two dimensional.

A. 'You have lots of land.' I might use that to describe a farm, but not a typical residential lot in a city.
B. This would not come up in a neighborly conversation, IMHO, unless you are talking about some subdivision of his residential lot: 'Your garden plot is sizeable.'.
C. 'You have a nice, big lot!' would be a very common thing to say in this situation.
D. This sounds like you're talking to some rich person about their large estate. 'Your grounds are extensive!'

Soseki

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
C. 'You have a nice, big lot!' would be a very common thing to say in this situation.
Thank you very much, J&K Tutoring

Perhaps, the 'lot' in C. might be AE. How does one say it in BrE?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We only use "lot" to describe, for example, the big expanse of concrete out the front of a car sales building, where all the cars sit. It's a "car lot" (not everyone calls it that though).

In the context you gave, without being able to see the "lot", I'd have to say "You have a huge/really big garden!" or "You have a lot of land!"