India's each and every city has population more than or equal to some city or country

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Yesterday I watched a report that about the population of India.

"India's each and every city has population more than or equal to some city or country of the world." For example-UP has a population equivalent to Brazil. Punjab has a population equivalent to Canada.

Could you please check my sentences?

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not even sure what this is supposed to mean, but UP and Punjab are states, not cities. Also, I'm guessing that UP is an abbreviation for Uttar Pradesh, but I doubt anybody not from India would know that offhand.

Regardless, it's kind of meaningless - every city, town, state or province in any country has a population similar to that of another place in the world, regardless of its size. I come from a small town of about 300 people, and I'm sure there are hundreds if not thousands of similarly sized small towns across the world.

I can say that you should use 'equal to' in place of 'equivalent'.

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I had a similar post made up as SKREI but somehow I was logged out and lost it.

You should never use obscure initials or acronyms in a your writing without defining them first. I had to do an internet search to find UP stood for Uttar Pradesh.

Also the facts are wrong with respect to Punjab and Canada. First of all Punjab is not a city but more to the point the state of Punjab has a population of about 28 million whereas the population of Canada is about 36 million. So you are making a false statement when you say they have equivalent populations.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Notwithstanding the veracity or otherwise of the figures and the fact that you've named states, not cities, for a moment, starting with "India's each and every city" is not natural. It should be "Every Indian city ..."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Also, given that the Vatican (the country) has a population of 801, it is obvious that all Indian cities have populations greater than some country (and therefore of some city, state, or country), unless you call a town with a population of 800 or more a city.

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/population-by-country/

It's also true that entire population of India is smaller than some village, town, or continent.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Notwithstanding the veracity or otherwise of the figures and the fact that you've named states, not cities, for a moment, starting with "India's each and every city" is not natural. It should be "Every Indian city ..."

"Every Indian city and state have population more than or equal to some city or country of the world."

"Every Indian city and state have population more than or similar to that of some city or country of the world."

No actually I have forgotten that which country did they compare the Punjab from. But yes they did compare Uttar Pradesh (sorry for the contraction) with Brazil. Could you please check my sentence?

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I had a similar post made up as SKREI but somehow I was logged out and lost it.

You should never use obscure initials or acronyms in a your writing without defining them first. I had to do an internet search to find UP stood for Uttar Pradesh.

Also the facts are wrong with respect to Punjab and Canada. First of all Punjab is not a city but more to the point the state of Punjab has a population of about 28 million whereas the population of Canada is about 36 million. So you are making a false statement when you say they have equivalent populations.

Actually I have forgotten that which country did they compare the Punjab from. Could you please tell me that what is the correct way of saying this correctly?

Last edited: