Infer\Imply?

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Does the usage bother you? ;-)
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We imply something by what we say. We infer something from something somebody else says.

:)
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Do people use 'infer' for 'imply' in AE? It's becoming very common here. ;-)
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
tdol said:
Do people use 'infer' for 'imply' in AE? It's becoming very common here. ;-)

1. Oh, yes.
2. If somebody offered a correction every time that happened it would happen less often, but, of course, that doesn't happen.

:wink:
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
RonBee said:
tdol said:
Do people use 'infer' for 'imply' in AE? It's becoming very common here. ;-)

1. Oh, yes.
2. If somebody offered a correction every time that happened it would happen less often, but, of course, that doesn't happen.

:wink:

:D What can we infer from that implication?
:shock: What can we imply from that inference?

Cas :D
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think my brain just imploded. ;-)
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Fortunately, it was a very small implosion. ;-)
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Did anybody notice that I managed to use happen three times in one sentence? What did you infer from that?

:wink:
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That you happen to have a limited vocab? ;-)))))
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's one possibility.

:wink:
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
D

darren

Guest
Casiopea said:
RonBee said:
tdol said:
Do people use 'infer' for 'imply' in AE? It's becoming very common here. ;-)

1. Oh, yes.
2. If somebody offered a correction every time that happened it would happen less often, but, of course, that doesn't happen.

:wink:

:D What can we infer from that implication?
:shock: What can we imply from that inference?

Cas :D

Casiopea teacher:
I need explaination on your second sentence. Why can we use imply there?
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I don't think she likes it as much as the first, hence the eyes.;-)
 
D

darren

Guest
tdol said:
I don't think she likes it as much as the first, hence the eyes.;-)

Can anyone explain the subtle differences between infer and imply with more details and examples?
Help needs.
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
darren said:
tdol said:
I don't think she likes it as much as the first, hence the eyes.;-)

Can anyone explain the subtle differences between infer and imply with more details and examples?
Help needs.

imply means to suggest something without actually saying it directly, whereas infer means to deduce or conclude something based on what someone else has said.

Example
Pat: Can you afford to buy that car?
Sam: Are you implying (i.e. saying) that I am poor?
Pat: No. Not at all. I meant that, because you have three cars already, you may not have the time or space to take care of a fourth car. You've inferred (i.e. concluded) the wrong meaning!

What can we imply from that inference? means, What can we say without actually saying it about what we have concluded or deduced from what someone else has said. Now that's a brain teaser. :shock:
 
D

darren

Guest
Casiopea said:
darren said:
tdol said:
I don't think she likes it as much as the first, hence the eyes.;-)

Can anyone explain the subtle differences between infer and imply with more details and examples?
Help needs.

imply means to suggest something without actually saying it directly, whereas infer means to deduce or conclude something based on what someone else has said.

Example
Pat: Can you afford to buy that car?
Sam: Are you implying (i.e. saying) that I am poor?
Pat: No. Not at all. I meant that, because you have three cars already, you may not have the time or space to take care of a fourth car. You've inferred (i.e. concluded) the wrong meaning!

What can we imply from that inference? means, What can we say without actually saying it about what we have concluded or deduced from what someone else has said. Now that's a brain teaser. :shock:

thanks again. Now i understand it.  :D :D
 

LUPITA

Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2004
you can infer something by means of external experience,
and you can imply sth. because of your own experience. :-D :oops:
 

Johannes

Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2005
Member Type
English Teacher
tdol said:
Do people use 'infer' for 'imply' in AE? It's becoming very common here. ;-)

Without implying anything derogatory about AE, I wouldn't infer anything that's being "commonly used" necessarily to be grammatically correct, especially not in AE. :roll:
 
Last edited:

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Neither would I- I was curious about how common it is. ;-)
 
Top