Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Just because people pin point ' infinitive ' in a sentence differently that makes me wonder if I understand ' infinitive ' properly.

eg. I am going to make some more posts.

The so-called ' infinitive ' in this sentence is " to make " or only " make " ???

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
whl626 said:
Just because people pin point ' infinitive ' in a sentence differently that makes me wonder if I understand ' infinitive ' properly.

The so-called ' infinitive ' in this sentence is " to make " or only " make " ???

That is not an easy question to answer. The good news is that it doesn't matter much. The construction "going + to + base verb" is a bit idiomatic in English. As you know, it is used as a substitute for the future tense.

Some would say that "going to" is a phrasal verb and "make" is a bare infinitive (without its own "to"). Others would say that "going" is part of the progressive form of "go" and "to make" is its infinitive complement. I prefer the second explanation, but both are defendable.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agrre with Mike- it is a matter of personal preference and I share his. ;-)

whl626

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Ok don't use ' am going to ' :)

How about the simple one like ' I want to buy a book ' ?

the infinitive is ' buy ' or ' to buy ' then ?

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is nothing wrong with am going to. People use it all the time to express determination. Example:
  • I am going to buy a copy of that book tomorrow.
I am going to expresses greater certainty than I plan to.

:painting:

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
whl626 said:

That's a really good question.

The word infinitive is a term used to refer to an uninflected verb form. There are two kinds of infinitives: 1) 'to' infinitives and 2) zero, or bare infinitives.

1) She asked them to read the article. ('to' infinitive)
2) She had them read the article. (zero/bare infinitive)

"I am going to write some more posts." ('to' infinitive)
"I am going to write some more posts. " (zero/bare infinitive)

"To go is what I have to do." ('to' infinitive)

:D

whl626

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hmm, for the first infinitive that's the ' to ' infinitive. Can I say the ' to ' is the preposition since it is already a preposition by itself ? But if we do label ' to ' as preposition then the ' verb ' must be in ing form that is equivalent to ' gerund '.

In the infinitive we don't do that, so the infinitive is supposed to involve ' to ' that is to say ' I am going to write some more posts. '

... to write .... is the infinitive. Am I right to reason it this way ???

Eagerly waiting for your feedback :p:p:p

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
whl626 said:
Hmm, for the first infinitive that's the ' to ' infinitive. Can I say the ' to ' is the preposition since it is already a preposition by itself ? But if we do label ' to ' as preposition then the ' verb ' must be in ing form that is equivalent to ' gerund '.

In the infinitive we don't do that, so the infinitive is supposed to involve ' to ' that is to say ' I am going to write some more posts. '

... to write .... is the infinitive. Am I right to reason it this way ???

Eagerly waiting for your feedback :p:p:p

There are two "to"s in English. One is a preposition; it comes before a noun (e.g. Give the book to Sam), and it means, 'to(wards) the direction of a thing or a person'. The other is an infinitive verb marker; it comes before a verb (e.g. to go), never a noun, and it has no meaning at all. It's semantically empty.

to arose with infinitives in Middle English from Old English dative to , "for the purpose of", though in Middle English to is a mere sign, without meaning. In Old English no verb required to before the infinitive. Old English infinitive verbs were marked by the suffix -an, and as that suffix was undergoing change in Middle English, the word to was introduced:

To break
Old English: breoken
Middle English: to breoke
Modern English: to break

In short, in Modern English, an infinitive is formed with to plus the verb base form, and 'to' has no meaning and is not a preposition, and sometimes it's used without 'to' (bare-infinitive = only verb base form).

Because it is formed with a verb (half verb), it may have an object and modifiers. The infinitive and its object and/or modifiers form an infinitive phrase.

Because the infinitive is formed from a verb, it may have tense - present ( to see ), or perfect ( to have seen).

The infinitive phrase or infinitive is used
[ 1 ] as an adjective phrase: half adjective, to modify a noun or pronoun, and half verb;

Example:

The sign says that this hotel has rooms to rent to transients as well as to permanent guests. ( modifying a noun 'rooms' )

[ 2 ] as an adverb phrase: half adverb, to modify a verb, adjective, or another adverb, and half verb;

Examples:

The children hurried to see the parade. (modifying verb 'hurried' )
The grass in the hayfield is ready to mow. (modifying adjective 'ready')
The room is not light enough to serve as a studio. (modifying adverb 'enough')

[ 3 ] as a noun phrase: half noun, in any of the ways that a noun may be used, and half verb.

Example:
subject : To spend money carelessly is foolish.
direct object : Children like to visit their grandparents.
predicate nominative : My hope is to see you in Germany.
object of preposition : We ask nothing except to be at peace.
appositive : The most difficult task, to spade the garden, we left to the hired hand.

SOURCE
http://www.kwonsreading.com/grammar/verbals/infinitive.htm

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
whl626 said:
...the infinitive is supposed to involve ' to ' that is to say 'I am going to write some more posts. ' ... to write .... is the infinitive. Am I right to reason it this way?

Prepositional Phrase
I am going to school. (PP headed by a 'to' preposition)

Verb Phrase
I am going to write. (VP headed by a 'to' infinitive)

I am going + object => to write. (verb)
I am going + object => to school. (noun)

to write and to school are syntactic objects of the verb 'am going'.

Compare:

Gerund
I am going skiing. (object of 'am going')

'to' Infinitive
I am going to ski that hill. (object of 'am going')

Prepositional Phrase
I am going to ski school. (object of 'am going')

Status
Not open for further replies.