Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi.
Would you please help me understand the following passage from Marie Corelli's THE SORROWS OF SATAN?

My pen, consciously or unconsciously, had written down things which my reasoning faculties entirely repudiated,--such as belief in a God,--trust in the eternal possibilities of man's diviner progress,--I credited neither of these doctrines.

I don't understand "the eternal possibilities of man's diviner progress". What is "diviner progress"? Is this some Christian idea? I appreciate very much if you could explain or paraphrase this part. Thank you!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you sure it's "diviner", not "divine"? If it is, I can only assume the writer was using an unusual comparative of "divine". These days, we say "more divine" not "diviner".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm guessing.

By man's, she means mankind's. She seems to believe that mankind as a group improves spiritually over time.

Etermal means that this will go on forever. So she believes that as time goes by, we will approach perfection.

I'm looking forward to seeing how others read it!

imchongjun

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi, emsr2d2. Yes, it is "diviner". This novel was written at the end of the 19th century, by the way.
Hi, Charlie Bernstein. So according to your interpretation, "diviner progress" means "spiritual progress", doesn't it? I think that makes sense.