[Vocabulary] intrusive reporters and the press.

Sarah-Betty

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Iran
I want to use "intrusive" for both "reporters" and "the press". Could you please help me?

Famous people are usually bothered by pushy photographers, intrusive reporters and the press. This will disturb famous people’s domestic affairs.

Famous people are usually bothered by pushy photographers, the intrusive press and reporters. This will disturb famous people’s domestic affairs.

Last edited:

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The second one really calls for an Oxford comma after press. The first is OK as written (but I'd use an Oxford comma there, too).

Generally speaking, it's best to arrange lists of this sort in the order of the phrases' lengths. You can list them in ascending or descending order, but if you mix them up, the list gets harder to read.

Sarah-Betty

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Iran
(but I'd use an Oxford comma there, too).
Famous people are usually bothered by pushy photographers, intrusive reporters, and the press.

Famous people are usually bothered by pushy photographers, the intrusive press, and reporters.

Generally speaking, it's best to arrange lists of this sort in the order of the phrases' lengths.
So, the following is the best:
Famous people are usually bothered by pushy photographers, intrusive reporters, and the press.

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Famous people are usually bothered by pushy photographers, intrusive reporters, and the press.:tick:

Famous people are usually bothered by pushy photographers, the intrusive press, and reporters.:tick:

So, the following is the best:
Stylistically, yes. As Piscean noted, it's logically redundant. :)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't understand why you would use both reporters and the press.