Is Angela Merkel loosing the forthcoming election?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubisto

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I am more than unsure about the order of phrases in the following sentence.
So I think it's best to ask my English experts.
1. Something extraordinary must happen that Angela Merkel is to lose the forthcoming election.
Have also a look at some of my alternative sentences. Are they all correct?
2. Something extraordinary must happen that Angela Merkel is going to lose forthcoming the forthcoming election.
3. Something extraordinary must happen that Angela Merkel will lose the forthcoming election.

J

J&K Tutoring

Is Angela Merkel loosing the forthcoming election? Be aware of the difference between lose and loose! This mistake is common among native speakers. You use the correct word in your examples.

The first problem with all your examples is the incorrect use of that. Angela Merkel's loss is not certain, so the word if is very useful:

1. Something extraordinary must happen [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] if Angela Merkel is to lose the forthcoming election.
2. Something extraordinary must happen [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] if Angela Merkel is going to lose [STRIKE]forthcoming[/STRIKE] the forthcoming election.
3. Something extraordinary must happen that Angela Merkel will lose the forthcoming election. By using will, you make her loss certain. Since the election is in the future, there must be uncertain words. The best way to fix this sentence is to delete it and use one of your other, better, examples.

Both your #1 and #2 are okay as corrected, but not the best. They both sound as if Ms. Merkel wants to lose. I suggest:

For Angela Merkel to lose the forthcoming election, something extraordinary must happen.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I find this much more natural: Something extraordinary will have to happen for Angela Merkel to lose the upcoming election.

Status
Not open for further replies.