Is spelling really all that important?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Don't skip over this because it looks weird. Believe in yourself! Believe it or not, you can read it:

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulacity uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pwoer of the hmuan mnid aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseon't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat lttees be in the rgiht pclae. Amzanig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas thuoght slepling was ipmorantt.

Tomasz Klimkiewicz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Casiopea,

Mnay tnhaks for a gerat psot. Ideend, it is radebale, and it's hirailuos as well! Slleping is tollaty uminroptant.

Regdars,

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Tomasz Klimkiewicz said:
Casiopea,

Mnay tnhaks for a gerat psot. Ideend, it is radebale, and it's hirailuos as well! Slleping is tollaty uminroptant.

Regdars,
I love that word! um ' in ' rop ' tant. :up:
Today I'm going to use spell-speech, all day!

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Aparuntly.;-)

Tomasz Klimkiewicz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
If the 'i' were another 'l' I'd think it's 'actually'.

Infectious stuff, that twisted spelling, isn't it?

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
It looks like simplified Chinese characters for me. I've never learn it but I can recognize most of it.

N

Neurotica

Hi there...

If spelling wasn't that important, then the forum would be English as an Alien language... No offence, but should this be posted in some other forum?

Regards,

Neurotica

Tomasz Klimkiewicz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'm truly surprised.
I wouldn't think, even for a while, that someone might take the original post as anything else than just an example of a weird phenomenon related to our perception.
Do we have to be deadly serious all the time? Wasn't it clear to everyone that it was just a big joke?
I will gladly accept the risk of being counted among Aliens. I'm not sure what Casiopea would think, though.
Since this is a quick reply, I don't have the 'wink' emoticon right at hand.

Long live the Aliens.

Tee Kay

phoenixtree

Member Type
Student or Learner
I think that depends. If more of your work is connected to writing then spelling is more important. On the other hand, there are many people around us who have received little education not good at spelling. But they can make themselves understood.

I

isaaclondon

I like this post.

It really confirms what I've been thinking for years now. Especially since I came to London.

While I was at school in Spain, I spent 90% of my studying time learning proper grammar, spelling and other "theory related" things, and not much vocabulary.

When I came here, I discovered that I just didn't know anything, because the most important thing you need to communicate with other people are words not whole sentences!!!

If you don't know a basic ammount of words, you are damned to talk using your hands, or describing things to others because you don't know how they are called.

And nobody cares if you make a grammar mistake or write something wrong, because they understand you anyway.

Don't get it wrong. Grammar and spelling ARE important but not so important as to take so much time from vocabulary learning.

As an example, a 34 year old english guy that works with me always has to ask how to spell some words when he is writing a report, and I know them all!!!

hummm, something's just not right in the way we learn the language.

Status
Not open for further replies.