Not open for further replies.

pumpjockey

Member Type
Student or Learner
deliberately and intentionally

My question is there any difference between these two words

in usage or in meaning ?

Thank you in advance.:)

Logic dictates there should be a difference since there are 2 different words but I see them generally used interchangeably, am I wrong?

stuartnz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
New Zealand
As a non-teacher, I would say that, in the end, usage dictates meaning. Humpty said, "When _I_ use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less.'" and this really sums up the relationship between usage and meaning. Here are some examples:

Decimate has as a meaning, "kill one out of every ten". Some people insists that this is still the ONLY acceptable usage of the word. However, widespread and long-term usage has seen the word take on a broader meaning. In fact, some even say that the meaning has nearly reversed, from "kill 1 out of every 10" to effectively meaning "kill 9 out of every 10". The now somewhat overworn and tired English word "nice" once meant "ignorant" or "foolish". Its meaning changed as its usage changed.

oregeezer

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Thailand
The Cambridge Advanced Learners Dictionary says:
deliberate: INTENTIONAL so I think your suspicions are confirmed. They are generally interchangeble.

banderas

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
deliberately and intentionally

My question is there any difference between these two words

in usage or in meaning ?

Thank you in advance.:)

Logic dictates there should be a difference since there are 2 different words but I see them generally used interchangeably, am I wrong?

deliberately = intentionally
deliberately = slowly and carefully
2 meanings

intentionally= deliberatelly
1 meaning
Conclusion: they seem to be synonyms if not referred to pace
but think of purposefully now:-D

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
With both, there is/was a purposeful intention to commit the act. The difference is, that in a fit of road rage, I might impulsively and intentionally ram into another car.
With 'deliberately', the act is not impulsive, and indicates the action was considered carefully in its doing eg he deliberately set out to kill his wife. "intentionally' would not be suitable in that context.

Status
Not open for further replies.