is this correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

please help me settle this with my dad. last night i went to his house. a pen rolled off the table and i exclaimed It Fell ! he proceeded to tell me that this was impossible because something cant just fall! i told him that i just described what happened not why! he claims that my phrase It Fell is improper english. i say i don't think so. please settle this. he loves to play these word games with me ( semantics ) and i hope that my term It Fell ! is proper.... help...

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If things can't just fall, how did Isaac Newton get the idea about gravity? According to tradition, an apple fell on his head. Meteors fall from the sky, don't they? I'm not sure that I get his point, though with the pen, it somehow acquired the momentum to roll off the table, so the was an impluse that started it.
Ask him what rain does. ;-)

S

Susie Smith

tdol said:
If things can't just fall, how did Isaac Newton get the idea about gravity? According to tradition, an apple fell on his head. Meteors fall from the sky, don't they? I'm not sure that I get his point, though with the pen, it somehow acquired the momentum to roll off the table, so the was an impluse that started it.
Ask him what rain does. ;-)

Raindrops are falling on my head.... :lol: :lol:

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The poor little cat fell
And tumbled into the well.

:)

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
According to the Bible, humankind fell in the Garden of Eden. ;-)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My meatball fell off my plate onto the floor,
Then it rolled right out the door.

:)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
tom stevens said:
please help me settle this with my dad. last night i went to his house. a pen rolled off the table and i exclaimed It Fell ! he proceeded to tell me that this was impossible because something cant just fall! i told him that i just described what happened not why! he claims that my phrase It Fell is improper english. i say i don't think so. please settle this. he loves to play these word games with me ( semantics ) and i hope that my term It Fell ! is proper.... help...

It is proper English. Are you sure that his point wasn't that it is impossible for a pen to move itself? :?

Status
Not open for further replies.