Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Could you, please tell if the sentence below sound OK in English?

"In those countries DOT programs are not only state responsibility but non-governmental, religious and charity organizations also give their contribution."

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Could you, please tell if the sentence below sound OK in English? It can be improved.

"In those countries DOT programs are not only state responsibility; non-governmental, religious and charitable organizations also make contributions."
What are DOT programs?

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Could you, please tell if the sentence below sound OK in English?

"In those countries DOT programs are not only state responsibility but non-governmental, religious and charity organizations also give their contribution."

In those countries, the state does not assume sole responsibility for DOT programs; non-governmental organizations, such as charities, and faith-based initiatives also play a role.

1. Charities, such as Oxfam, are NGOs

2. Depending on your audience, you might get away with writing 'NGOs' instead of 'non-governmental organizations' - the term has become widely used and understood (I would say quite recently) and the abbreviation is often used in the media (eg on the BBC or in the Guardian newspaper) for brevity and without explanation.

3. I've written 'faith-based initiatives' partly as a way of getting round my uncertainty as to whether you are referring to religious bodies such as the Catholic Church or organizations set up by religious bodies for charitable puposes. Also, if the latter these come under charities so you'd have to write 'including faith-based and other charities', which isn't very good, or rephrase the sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.