Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I found the following sentence in an English book "I decided to give it all up and change my life dramatically three years ago". Is it correct to use "change" here ? I think it should be "changed".
Could you please help me understand that usage ? My teacher read the passage containing that sentence but she has had no idea.
Thank you so much !

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I found the following sentence in an English book "I decided to give it all up and change my life dramatically three years ago". Is it correct to use "change" here ? I think it should be "changed".
Could you please help me understand that usage ? My teacher read the passage containing that sentence but she has had no idea.
Thank you so much !

You could actually use either!

I decided to give it all up and to change my life... (here, the decision was to do two things: to give up and to change)

I decided to give it all up, and I changed my life... (here, the person actually went ahead and changed their life as a result of making a decision to give it all up).

With the first sentence, you don't actually know if the speaker did in fact go ahead with their plan after making the decision.
With the second, it's clear that the speaker did change their life.

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
What a great explanation !
Thank you so much. Now I understand it.

ratóncolorao

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Thank you so much !

Hello,
My explanation:
You say : I decided to give it all up and (to) change......
Although you do not use it (the second "to", I mean) here, which is correct, implicitly is there. We see that the sentence is linked with the conjunction "and" that allows us to do it.
Direct Object: "to give it all up and to change..." // What did you decide? I decide to change my life and ( to ) give it all up...."

Neither a teacher nor a native English speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.