Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
It depends what you mean by RP. If, as is so often understood, you mean an extreme caricature of Thirties pronunciation, yes. Modern speakers of RP tend towards lip-spreading, I would say. But I don't have my IPA book to hand.
https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/...cs/185162-spread-lips-neutral.html#post957512
b

As emsr said, "You shouldn't believe, or use, everything you read on the internet." As a result, I want to consult you, native speakers, not an unauthorized website. I have checked W3 in which I found the following:

"USAGE NOTE: In writing, depend is followed by on or upon when indicating condition or contingency, as in It depends on who is in charge. Omission of the preposition is typical of casual speech."

Should I avoid omitting the preposition after the verb depend in writing? Can native speakers
turn blind eye if I drop the preposition?

More: depend: Definition, Synonyms from Answers.com

P.S.: Please not that you are the only ones who are in charge of providing the authentic knowledge about English language usage. Thus, I have written this to get your consultation. Thank you so much.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, use "on" in formal writing.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
P.S.: Please not that you are the only ones who are in charge of providing the authentic knowledge about English language usage.
I don't think any of us have ever claimed that we are.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As emsr said, "You shouldn't believe, or use, everything you read on the internet." As a result, I want to consult you, native speakers, not an unauthorized website. I have checked W3 in which I found the following:

"USAGE NOTE: In writing, depend is followed by on or upon when indicating condition or contingency, as in It depends on who is in charge. Omission of the preposition is typical of casual speech."

Should I avoid omitting the preposition after the verb depend in writing? Can native speakers
turn blind eye if I drop the preposition?

More: depend: Definition, Synonyms from Answers.com

P.S.: Please note that you are the only ones who are in charge of providing the authentic knowledge about English language usage. Thus, I have written this to get your consultation. Thank you so much.

As 5jj said, in formal writing, always include the preposition. Native speakers won't bat an eyelid if it's missing in ordinary everyday speech.

Regarding your PS, native speakers can give you authentic opinions on what sounds natural but there are other places to learn about English language usage. Admittedly, some schools, courses and textbooks are better than others but this is certainly not the only authority!

Status
Not open for further replies.