Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
"In addition, while it is not about creating a new system but developing the existing system…"

I've been told that the phrase: "it is about" as in the above context is not correct English. Could you suggest a better expression? (Perhaps: The matter at hand? The subject under discussion? )

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"In addition, while it is not about creating a new system but developing the existing system…"

I've been told that the phrase: "it is about" as in the above context is not correct English. Could you suggest a better expression? (Perhaps: The matter at hand? The subject under discussion? )

Perhaps "...while the main goal is not creating...", or "...the main aim is not to create a new system but to develop..."

When you say that the original is not "correct English", what do you mean? Personally, I see nothing wrong with the sentence.

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Perhaps "...while the main goal is not creating...", or "...the main aim is not to create a new system but to develop..."

When you say that the original is not "correct English", what do you mean? Personally, I see nothing wrong with the sentence.

I think you've put your finger on it. 'It is about' strikes me as a lazy way of expressing 'the main aim [of X] is to' or 'the chief focus should be...', or.... There's some relation, but the speaker can't be bothered to [work it out and] express what it is. It's not ungrammatical, but I can't say I like it.

b

PS We are assuming of course that there is an elided finite verb after the subordinate clause. If not, the 'while' is out of place (not just 'in the wrong place', but not doing the job of a subordinating conjunction).

Status
Not open for further replies.