Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello, I am a college student from China and Chinese is my mother tougne. Here I 'd like you to tell me your apinions or experience in studying languages like French, German, or even japanese.

One of my accqaitances told me not to study English and French together.
Don't study them altogether, and you'll be mixed up otherwise, as she said. I think there is something in what she said; there are too many resemblances between them.

What do you think? And do you find which language is the hardest/ easiest?

Thanks

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I studied French and German at school and learned Portuguese when I was living there. I am currently starting to learn some Japanese and for me this is by far the hardest. ;-)

S

sanny

I study English, French and German and I can still keep it up. So I don't think it's really hard. You'll have to imagine a kind of box in your head. When you're studying English you open the drawer of English and when you study another language you open the drawer of that language.

That's the way I see those kind of things. :D

S

sanny

That's how you can keep the languages separated.
You must not connect the languages too much with each other, but when you'll still do it you can see in the French language some similarity with the English language.

S

sanny

The most differences are in the grammer, but some words are the same... ;)

AUTOMOON

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Your words.
Japanese is indeed much harder than French, especially for its grammar.
You may try Chinese if you don't want get involved in much grammar difficulties. :p

By the way, which one is harder , French or German? And had you encountered any difficulty in English when you learning French?me this is by far the hardest. ;-)[/quote]

AUTOMOON

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
sanny said:
The most differences are in the grammer, but some words are the same... ;)

hi, thanks for answering my posts, that is really helpful

You compared your language to content in boxes, and chances are that you are studying that way.But the point is : Things may be different from person to person.
I just hope your case is typical of most people , so that worry discussed previously may not happen to me .

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
AUTOMOON said:
Your words.
Japanese is indeed much harder than French, especially for its grammar.
You may try Chinese if you don't want get involved in much grammar difficulties. :p

By the way, which one is harder , French or German? And had you encountered any difficulty in English when you learning French?me this is by far the hardest. ;-)

I'm an English speaker, so I didn;'t have any trouble with English. I found German harder than French because of the cases. ;-)

AUTOMOON

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hong Kong Chinese said:
French is easy to read by people acquiring some vocabularies in English but difficult to speak and write!

I like to read the insolite news from:
http://www.liberation.fr/page.php?Template=REUTERS_HP&Rubrique=INSOLITE

Quite Often, I only understand half of the story!

I am also a Chinese but from mainland.
Are you born to speak Chinese ? If you are, have you met with difficulties tell English from French when you learning French?

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
AUTOMOON said:
Hong Kong Chinese said:
French is easy to read by people acquiring some vocabularies in English but difficult to speak and write!

Are you born to speak Chinese ? If you are, have you met with difficulties tell English from French when you learning French?

Hi, Automoon! May I make a suggestion or two? Try:
  • I am also a Chinese but from the mainland. Is Chinese your first language? If so, have you met with difficulties telling English from French when learning French?

:)

H

Hong Kong Chinese

automoon - make a decision yourself

Dear Automoon (my compatriot) – the Moon orbits itself around the Earth!

French and English will easily be mixed up not only by spellings but also the pronunciation. My English is getting poor because I have been learning French myself for almost two years. Before that, I would like read fictions in English all the time.

My advice to you is that English has become an International English – to master it is a must!

In my opinion, French is a cultured language, so if you have time and energy. It is no harm to learn it, and further to that, because of the advent of the internet, you can read lots of information in French as well as enhancing your vocabularies in English.

My Dear friend, I wish that you had a bright future no matter you are in China or abroad!

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: automoon - make a decision yourself

Hong Kong Chinese said:

French and English will easily be mixed up not only by spellings but also the pronunciation. My English is getting poor because I have been learning French myself for almost two years. Before that, I would like read fictions in English all the time.

My advice to you is that English has become an International English – to master it is a must!

In my opinion, French is a cultured language, so if you have time and energy. It is no harm to learn it, and further to that, because of the advent of the internet, you can read lots of information in French as well as enhancing your vocabularies in English.

My Dear friend, I wish that you had a bright future no matter you are in China or abroad!

Coincidentally, I just finished reading an article (in the NY Times) that said that people living in Taiwan (especially students) must learn three languages--Minnan, Mandarin and English. Apparently, there is some problem with trying to learn Minnan and Mandarin at the same time because of similar characters that are pronounced differently.

(Rather than "I wish you had a bright future" it might be better to say "I wish a bright future for you".)

Beeuurkes

RonBee said:
(Rather than "I wish you had a bright future" it might be better to say "I wish a bright future for you".)

Can't we say: "I wish you a bright future and a happy life" ?
grlach.gif

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Beeuurkes said:
RonBee said:

Can't we say: "I wish you a bright future and a happy life" ?
grlach.gif

Yes we can. The same to you. :wink:

AUTOMOON

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
RonBee said:
AUTOMOON said:
Hong Kong Chinese said:

• I am also a Chinese but from the mainland. Is Chinese your first language? If so, have you met with difficulties telling English from French when learning French?

:up: Thank you for your recommendations, Ronbee
I just wish you could express your uncomfort whennever you read my post, okay? As a self-made learner of English, teacher guidance is badly needed.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
AUTOMOON said:
RonBee said:
AUTOMOON said:
Hong Kong Chinese said:

:up: Thank you for your recommendations, Ronbee
I just wish you could express your uncomfort whennever you read my post, okay? As a self-made learner of English, teacher guidance is badly needed.

Not to worry! I have much experience at this and I am getting more every day. I am glad I can help. And you are not doing all that badly.

AUTOMOON

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hong Kong Chinese said:
\

Hongkong Chinese, I am so glad to hear from you that soon!
the Moon orbits itself around the Earth! --------Though far from what I intended it for, but your explanation is indeed intersting and
ingenious.

Your case just reminded something from a English man, and he told me it is unsensible to learning two languages at the same time. Maybe as you learn more, you will find your French more respectable.

Last but not the least , thank you for your kind word, and it is nice hearing you say so.

------From the mainland

Doh, in reply to HONG KONG Chinese

Status
Not open for further replies.