Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In the following paragraph, what does "it was given that" mean?

"David was always just a little jealous of my dogs. He never said it in so many words, but I could tell. I religiously spent an hour a day with them between their walks and training time, and the inevitable grooming and show preparation… It was maddening, particularly given that out of twenty-four hours a day, I felt like David already got twenty-three of them."

Source: A Mother's Confession, by Kelly Rimmer

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"It was given that" doesn't occur there. Do you understand what it means to say that something is 'given'? You could rewrite the sentence, "Particularly given that, out of twenty-four hours a day, I felt like David already got twenty-three of them, it was maddening."
"Given the circumstances mentioned, it was maddening."
"It was maddening, given the circumstances." The circumstances are that, out of twenty-four hours a day, she felt that David already got twenty-three of them.

Given the explanation, do you understand the phrase now?

ida2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you. I can understand now :)

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In the following paragraph, what does "it was given that" mean?

"David was always just a little jealous of my dogs. He never said it in so many words, but I could tell. I religiously spent an hour a day with them between their walks and training time, and the inevitable grooming and show preparation… It was maddening, particularly given that out of twenty-four hours a day, I felt like David already got twenty-three of them."

As mentioned, your title stripped out important words that should have been there. Don't do that!

Ok, the facts are:

1. David is jealous of the attention the dogs are getting from the person.
2. The person only gets one hour of the day for pleasure with his dogs

There is one more given fact. That David really dominates his time, He appears to spend 23 out of 24 hours with this person. This may be an exaggeration but it seems like this to the person. This jealously is driving the person crazy because there is no need for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.