Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hello,

I'd like to know what "it's raining men " mean.
It is just a way to say hey everybody, look, it's raining"? or are there men falling from the sky? I have found an Italian translation of the song and the traslator has chosen the second option I mentioned. But I am not sure if it is right. What do you think?
Thanks Ripley

Mister Micawber

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Japan
No, just a lot of men around, I think, Ripley. However, I'm not a Spice Girl fan.

ripley

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Neither am I. But in Italy we are used to singing songs even if we don't understand the meaning and this song has been a hit for much time. People sang it again and again, so I was just asking myself what that sentence meant.
My favourite singers and bands are David Bowie, Genesis, Pink Floyd................; I like classical and jazz music. Nevertheless I like to be uptdated and try to understand the meaning of the lyrics even if I don't like the song.
Ripley

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
ripley said:
Hello,

I'd like to know what "it's raining men " mean.
It is just a way to say hey everybody, look, it's raining"? or are there men falling from the sky? I have found an Italian translation of the song and the traslator has chosen the second option I mentioned. But I am not sure if it is right. What do you think?
Thanks Ripley

It's possible the Italian translation is referring to men falling from heaven. :wink: No matter where they fall from, even Grace, the song line means, there are a great deal of men around; they are pouring in all over the place; there as many men as there are raindrops when it rains.

Status
Not open for further replies.