"I've been refusing second portions all my life.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello,

1) what does "I've been refusing second portions all my life" refer to?
2) What do the words in blue mean?

Thank you very much.
(from Conditioned Reflex Therapy By Andrew Salter)

The inhibitory are no different in the little things of life than in the big ones. They're the last to enter, and the last to leave an elevator. They are always apologeric. They are the expLaired, toiling at tedious tasks. They poison themselves wirh resentment for years before asking for a wage increase. They are pathetic with waiters, barbers, and salesmen, and they have as much difficulty with their mothers-in-law. They are the women who go into a dress shop and buy in order to get out. As one of them put it, "I've been refusing second portions all my life." They constantly fear that they are inconveniencing people and attracting attention. They fear they're taking up too much space, and breathing too much air.

They waste their energies perpetuating inhibitory behavior.They try to negate one million years of evolution. The meek shall inherit the earth, because their faces are in the dust.Besides, modern scholarship has shown that the correct translation is, ''The wise shall inherit the earth," which makes more
sense.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"I've been refusing second portions all my life" means that the person has always said "No, thank you" when offered a second helping of food. (It goes on to explain that this is due to them being the type of person who constantly worries that they are inconveniencing someone.)

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you very much for your help. What does "offered a second helping of food" mean?

Is it about dole? I don't see such a situation literally in my life.

If I said "offer second portions" without the context, do native speakers understand?

Could you also explain the meaning of " The meek shall inherit the earth, because their faces are in the dust..."?

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A second helping, or "seconds", is more of some prepared food you have already been served.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It could be a reference to the verb to dole out.