Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hello everyone,

I'm in trouble with these sentences. I wrote them but I'm not sure about some points.

1) She wished to talk with the animals. 2) That's why she was taken to somewhere called Land of Talkings where all of the animals could talk.

1) The girl wants to talk with all of the animals, in general. So I sense that I shouldn't use "the" before "animals". But when I don't use, the sentence sounds odd. Should I use "the" or not?

2) By saying "Land of Talkings", I mean to say "Land of the Talking Animals". But I want to say it without 'animals'. Is "Land of Talkings" true? Or may be "Land of the Talkings"? Or should I use 'speakers' or 'talkers' or something else instead of 'talkings'? How would you say it?

Thanks in advance

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

1) It makes sense with or without "the".

2) I would just say "Land of the Talking Animals". I don't like the sound of "Land of the Talkers" or any permutation thereof. Do you have any more ideas for a title?

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In 1), you are correct to leave out the "the". However, I would express it as "She wanted to be able to talk to animals".

In 2), you could call it the Land of All Tongues, which conveys the two different meanings of "tongue": as a language and as part of a human or animal body.

Veggie

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
(Not a Teacher)

1) It makes sense with or without "the".

2) I would just say "Land of the Talking Animals". I don't like the sound of "Land of the Talkers" or any permutation thereof. Do you have any more ideas for a title?

Well, I didn't think of another title but maybe I should just let 'animals' stay there. Thank you very much.

Veggie

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
In 1), you are correct to leave out the "the". However, I would express it as "She wanted to be able to talk to animals".

In 2), you could call it the Land of All Tongues, which conveys the two different meanings of "tongue": as a language and as part of a human or animal body.

Thank you for the creative idea. Land of All Tongues sounds interesting. And also thank you for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.