Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I am wondering if my sentences are grammatically correct.

Lately, Maria couldn't stand her husband Peter's know-all attitude. Whenever he started to pontificate about different topics, she became edgy and wanted to run outside.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
At least in AmE it's a know-it-all attitude.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
"Know-all" is BrE. I have forgotten to add in my post that "know-it-all" is AmE.

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Lately, Maria couldn't stand her husband Peter's know-all attitude. Whenever he started to pontificate about different topics, she became edgy and wanted to run outside.

I don't find any real issues grammatically. However, when I say these sentences in my mind I find this a little bit awkward to say. It may be an appositive issue between "husband" and "Peter" combined with the use of the possessive afterward.

To eliminate this issue I have (which may be imaginary), I would rewrite the sentence as follows:

Lately, Maria couldn't stand her husband Peter and his know-all attitude. Whenever he started to pontificate about different topics, she became edgy and wanted to run outside.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, "know-all" is a noun. I'd use "know-it-all" in your sentence because it's an adjective describing his attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.